We were delighted to have been appointed as the specialist stone contractor to carry out the restoration works at St Mary’s Church, Lavey. This restoration project was featured in NI Builder and won the prestigeous ‘restoration’ accolade in the 2021 CEF Construction Excellence Awards.
St Mary’s is a Gothic revival style church that was built in 1873 by Dr Francis Kelly and dedicated to our Lady of Mercy.
Description of works
Extensive repairs and restoration to St Mary’s church with close attention to cleaning to ensure no damage was caused to this listed church.
A new extension was added with various intricate and detailed carvings.
Works completed included;
- Stone repair / replacement
- Repointing works
- Specialist cleaning work using our DOFF systems to ensure zero damage to the building
- New extension built on to the church, with close attention to ensure the stone closely matched the original stone
- Works to the extension included a new stone doorway entrance which required carving on site.
- New stone windows, a small doorway and rear porch all built in natural stone
Main contractor: Woodvale Construction
Architect: Mullarkey Pederson